Federal Criminal Appeals

Bennett & Bennett is ready to help anyone who needs professional legal help reversing wrongful convictions, questioning court rulings, and petitioning for prison sentence reductions. Attorney Mark W. Bennett is admitted into and has appeared in numerous federal courts of appeal on behalf of our clients. We’ve successfully argued numerous appeals that many of our colleagues may have shied away from.

Looking for a federal criminal appeals lawyer in Houston? Contact the Bennett & Bennett law firm if you need to consult with our legal team. Our phone number is 713-224-1747.

Unfortunately, the first step in the federal criminal appeals process is a guilty adjudgment. Once a person is convicted of a crime, they have the right to an appeal. Filing an appeal means asking a federal criminal appellate court to review a verdict. If the criminal appeals court affirms the conviction, the defendant has another option; petitioning to Supreme Court of the United States for a review of the case.

Moving Forward With a Federal Appeal

Appeals of federal criminal cases from Texas’ four federal judicial districts (Northern, Eastern, Western, and Southern) go to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.

The Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure are full of traps for the unwary lawyer, and if you’ve been convicted by a jury in a federal court in Texas you’ll need expert counsel to make sure that your rights are protected.

For example: Your notice of appeal is due within fourteen days of the judgment (there is a hefty $500 filing fee), the record must be ordered within fourteen days after that, and the brief is due within 40 days after the record is filed.

Things come at you fast, and a small slip-up can result in major damage. If you wish to hire experienced federal appellate counsel, call Bennett & Bennett at 713-224-1747 or send us a confidential message using our secured contact form. Our law office is located in downtown Houston on Franklin Street near the Harris County Criminal Justice Center.

Houston Federal Criminal Appeals Lawyers

Bennett & Bennett