Bennett & Bennett are a husband-and-wife team of Houston criminal-defense lawyers representing people charged with serious crimes—misdemeanors and felonies—in state and federal courts since 1995.
Call us now at +1 (713) 224-1747.
Our office is at:
917 Franklin Street
Houston, Texas 77002
That's three blocks west of the criminal courthouse in downtown Houston. There's a map below.
What makes the best criminal-defense lawyers the best? This is a question that we have pondered in depth in our mission to be among the best. What we have concluded is that there is no best lawyer. Even among the top lawyers, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. There is, however, a best lawyer for your case.
We want to help you find that best lawyer for your case, whether it is not Bennett & Bennett or not.
How do you choose the best criminal-defense lawyer for your case? If you haven't already chosen Bennett & Bennett, we hope that the extensive information on this site will help you choose the lawyer who is best for you.
What a lawyer believes can be as important as what he knows. The Houston Chronicle describes Mark as a "philosopher/criminal defense attorney."
- That there is no higher calling for a lawyer than to defend people accused of crimes.
- That everybody deserves an aggressive defense.
- That the government should be forced to work if it wants to put a person in jail.
- That the right to a trial by jury is a valuable thing that should not be given up lightly.
- That there is no such thing as a hopeless case.
- That a defendant is best served by a lawyer who is prepared, and willing, to try his case.
This is not to say that what a lawyer knows is unimportant. Mark and Jennifer are both graduates of University of Houston Law Center. Mark has been practicing criminal-defense law since 1995; Jennifer joined him in 1997. In 1999 Mark spent five weeks training at the Trial Lawyers College in Dubois, Wyoming. Since then he has spent hundreds of hours studying and training, not only in the law but also in fields such as improv, psychodrama, and hypnosis, to be a better lawyer. Jennifer brings her previous experience in family law, probate, real estate law, and banking and commercial litigation to the criminal forum, enabling her to approach each case with a wide lens. Jennifer works mostly behind-the-scenes, working with Mark to ensure that each case is handled with care.
- Board certified in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Peer reviewed AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
- A past president, four-time past vice president, and board member of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association.
- A frequent invitee to criminal-defense lawyers' groups to teach topics from jury selection to opening statements to ethics to closing argument.
- Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association's 2015 Lawyer of the Year.
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association's 2015 Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year.
- The head of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association Strike Force, protecting other criminal-defense lawyers from judges.
Houstonia Magazine has listed Mark a "Top Lawyer"; the truth of Houstonia's list of top lawyers is that it is based on Avvo ratings, and it's not really difficult for a lawyer to get the top 10/10 rating from Avvo. Likewise, Mark has been listed as a "Super Lawyer" since 2012, but the method by which Super Lawyers are selected is questionable.
Martindale-Hubbell peer-review ratings are a better indicator of reputation in the legal community. Better still are the things other lawyers say in public about a lawyer.
Mark is, however, most proud of the many great client reviews (seventy-three and countingon Avvo) he gets from clients who he has helped with their criminal cases.
Please check out the Videos of Mark in Action.
We have represented people successfully on cases from shoplifting to murder, including many drug conspiracy cases in Texas state courts and federal courts nationwide. This site includes a listing of Some Exceptional Results.
On these pages, you will find information about criminal law generally and about specific types of crimes (What to Expect from Your Criminal Case in the navigation bar above).
A well-educated defendant is more likely to choose the best lawyer for his case, so we've tried to make this site as informative as possible. If you'd like to contact us about anything on the site, if you have any questions that we haven't answered here, or if you want to discuss the possibility of retaining us to defend a criminal case, our contact information -- email, telephone, and physical address -- is a click away ("Contact" in the navigation bar).